In the industrial world, innovation is the key to remaining competitive and maintaining one’s position in the market, which is why it is necessary to act on production by optimizing production processes.
One way to do this is by using IoT, a cutting-edge technology that can revolutionize production processes, increase efficiency and reduce costs.
In this article, we will explore how IoT can be used to optimize production processes and improve the competitiveness of companies.
Production efficiency with IoT
Optimizing production processes requires a balance between energy efficiency and production efficiency that can be achieved by constantly monitoring your company. Thanks to the Industrial IoT, businesses can monitor industrial plants and optimize production processes.
IoT devices can remotely monitor machines, production lines and even the entire factory in real time, providing valuable data to operators and production managers in a single dashboard.
The benefits of using IoT
Employing IoT technology within your factory offers numerous advantages and benefits, here are the main ones:
- Production efficiency: the IoT enables detailed monitoring of production processes, identifying inefficiencies and potential problems in real time. In this way, operators can intervene quickly to solve problems and optimize production.
- Predictive maintenance: IoT sensors can detect signs of machine malfunctions, even before the fault occurs, allowing operators to intervene and reduce downtime and repair costs.
- Waste reduction: collecting and analyzing data using IoT solutions can help identify the causes of production waste and enable targeted improvements to reduce material waste, ultimately leading to cost savings in production.
- Optimal production planning: using real-time and historical data, production can be planned more efficiently, reducing resource overload and optimizing the supply chain.
- Improved production quality: by constantly monitoring production processes, greater consistency and quality of finished products can be ensured.
Zerynth Success Stories – Automotive and manufacturing sector compared
Many companies are taking advantage of the opportunities provided by IoT to enhance production efficiency and achieve extraordinary results. For example, Vitesco Technologies, a company operating in the automotive sector, has leveraged Zerynth IoT technology to optimize the quality of its production processes.
Specifically, thanks to Zerynth, the company can remotely monitor the status of each machine on the assembly line, obtaining a complete, real-time view of performance and detecting any anomalies. This has made it possible to intervene promptly and prevent breakdowns or errors up to 24 hours in advance, reducing downtime and associated costs, and optimizing production processes.
Fig. 1 Dashboard overview of stations monitored by Vitesco
On the other hand, a manufacturing company specializing in the production of metal components for the fashion industry,needed a solution to monitor different types of legacy machinery in order to produce customized machining for each customer. The goal was to track orders in real time throughout the production chain in order to reduce scrap and enhance the overall efficiency of the production line.
With the help of Zerynth, the company was able to track each order in real-time, immediately identifying inefficiencies and also monitoring product production times , improving the speed of the entire process. In addition, the company is now able to reduce production waste and optimize production processes.
5+1 Best Practices for Optimizing Production
How can you optimize production processes and gain real-time visibility across all the machinery in your factory? Utilizing IoT technology for industrial production efficiency allows you to monitor asset performance and detect any signs of wear and tear before they cause possible breakdowns. But what are the best practices to follow, and what are the benefits of implementing IoT in your factory?
- Accessing real-time information on your production line: introducing digital systems means obtaining real-time and remote information, so the relevant personnel are well-informed about the ongoing activities on the production line as they happen.
- Real-time monitoring of energy and production costs: with a digital factory control system, manufacturers enable their workers to focus on critical activities that improve the production process. These systems also automatically capture, process and store data, reducing the need for manual work.
- Managing maintenance: proper maintenance support is essential to manage downtime in a timely manner and avoid slowdowns and malfunctions, also through advanced forecasts derived from data analysis.
- Monitoring KPIs: having real-time and remote production data allows managers to make appropriate and strategic decisions to optimize production processes.
- Tracking production orders: software for monitoring production progress makes it possible to document and standardize all aspects of the procedures used, improving the efficiency and quality of a company’s production and identifying any inefficiencies or problems within the production process.
The last best practice is to choose Zerynth because it seamlessly connects any machinery (both new and old generation), easily, quickly and securely and in less than three hours. Our solutions offer the best possible user experience, find out more in this white paper.
Manufacturing efficiency is an important step towards competitiveness in modern industry. Companies that embrace IoT technology can achieve significant benefits in terms of efficiency, quality and profitability.
Curious about how IoT can optimize your production processes? Contact us to find out more, and one of our experts will answer all your questions.